Monday, April 6, 2009

Down, But Not Out!

After about 8 days of having a clogged ear, the gods (as well as demons) of Bali poured pain and suffering down from the heavens, and about 98 percent of it landed in my ear. I woke up on the 3rd of April with my left ear completely swollen shut! Of course, not being able to hear was the last thing on my mind considering the amount of pain shooting through my brain. I was officially down, so it goes without saying that I was unable to meet up with my masseuse for a night on the town - damn you, ear! Nevertheless, off to the Ubud Clinic I went.

I lived in Japan for about three years. I never went to the doctor, nor had any significant ailments save the minor cold. Since I have been on the road, which has only been about 4 months, I have been beaten and cut by the bush, broken a toe, been severely sunburned, and now, dealt with excruciating ear pains. I am certainly hoping for a bit of fresh air when I leave Bali on Thursday.

Nevertheless, the doc prescribed for me about half of the pharmaceuticals found in Indonesia, and I am currently functioning at about 85 to 90 percent. I can almost hear clearly now, the pain is gone! Oh, yes! The past two days have been ripe with moments of clarity, and I have no doubts that I will soon be back to my not-so normal self.

Thus, excitement is in the air as I prepare my bags for my day in Singapore. I have arranged a place to stay for the morning and night that I will be there, and I am currently working on a place to stay in Kuala Lumpur. So all is grand in the land of me. Bali has been great fun, extremely painful, and quite rewarding in so many ways (most significantly, "the recovering from pain" way).

And on a final note, my last Bali entry will be a recipe - the most scrumptious recipe! Until then, patience...

No comments: