日本人と外国人(がいこくじん) - わたしのともだち
わたしのにほんごはほんとうに。。。だめ!!それでも、ほんとうにいろいろありがとうございました。かみいなぐんだいすき!でも、ここはすごくさむくてたいへんだった。でもみなさんがわたしをあたためてくれた — わたしのにほんでのかぞくとして。こたつさんも!
わたしのにほんごはほんとうに。。。だめ!!それでも、ほんとうにいろいろありがとうございました。かみいなぐんだいすき!でも、ここはすごくさむくてたいへんだった。でもみなさんがわたしをあたためてくれた — わたしのにほんでのかぞくとして。こたつさんも!
いつでも。どこでも。どうぞ。れんらくしてください。
ほんとうにいろいろありがとうございました。
げんきで、がんばってください、じゃあね!
(わたしのしゃしんリンクをたのしんで!)
ほんとうにいろいろありがとうございました。
げんきで、がんばってください、じゃあね!
(わたしのしゃしんリンクをたのしんで!)
As for my English readers, Japan has been a great place to live save the mountain town winters. It is cold and I am really not a big fan. The skiing and snowboarding are great, but the toilet popsicle is less than fun. Anyway, the message above is a simple thank you, good luck, farewell and open ended invitation to anyone interested in traveling who is unable to follow my English rants. Yes, I wrote the original…in Japanese! However, “bigK” came to the rescue and made it coherent for those who can actually read Japanese. Thanks a bunch, “bigK!”
Below is a poem I wrote while I lived in Japan. No, I did not write the Japanese, nor can I understand it. Several people helped get the Japanese on paper – thank you very much (especially Kazuko!).
Below is a poem I wrote while I lived in Japan. No, I did not write the Japanese, nor can I understand it. Several people helped get the Japanese on paper – thank you very much (especially Kazuko!).
butterfly kisses バタフライキス
soothe my inner desires – 人生を理解するため
to understand life… 私の内なる欲求をなだめるため
to pursue shadows 無限の光の中で
within everlasting dreams 永遠に続く夢に内在する
of infinite light… 幻を追い求めるため
for the soothsayer 占い師は
has warned of one certainty: 疑いのない事実を警告した
life never had sense. 人生には意味なんて少しもないことを
I now realize that 今私は気づいている
when words depict ideas 言葉が観念を描写すれば
obscurity rules… 曖昧さが支配することを
and I realize that そして私は気づいている
when ideas dictate life 観念が生活を統治すれば
reality reigns… 現実が君臨することを
and how disgusting, そしてなんとむかつくことか
these movements of the living, 人々のこれらの行動が
this reality. これが現実であることが
so, speechless, I am だから私は無言なまま
a docile soldier at war 戦地において従順な兵士である
with humanity; 人間らしさだけは失わずに
my weapon – silence, 私の武器は沈黙である
with which I cannot triumph でも私はそれで人々の声を
over your voices 打ち負かすことはできないのだけれど.
though I maintain hope 私は生活を知力における
to reconcile this war この戦争を和解させる希望を
between life and mind; 持ち続けているのだけれど
to unearth meaning 徐々に消えて行くであろう
in the actions of my life 私の人生における活動の意味を
as it slowly fades… 掘り下げるために
love, laughter and loss 愛、幸福、喪失、
dancing about like snowflakes 過去の思い出が
of memories past; 粉雪のようにヒラヒラ舞う
these subtle details – このほのかなひとつひとつが
like butterflies and kisses – 蝶々やキスのように
mask insanity, 狂気をおおい隠す
beautiful insanity, 美しい狂気を…
soothe my inner desires – 人生を理解するため
to understand life… 私の内なる欲求をなだめるため
to pursue shadows 無限の光の中で
within everlasting dreams 永遠に続く夢に内在する
of infinite light… 幻を追い求めるため
for the soothsayer 占い師は
has warned of one certainty: 疑いのない事実を警告した
life never had sense. 人生には意味なんて少しもないことを
I now realize that 今私は気づいている
when words depict ideas 言葉が観念を描写すれば
obscurity rules… 曖昧さが支配することを
and I realize that そして私は気づいている
when ideas dictate life 観念が生活を統治すれば
reality reigns… 現実が君臨することを
and how disgusting, そしてなんとむかつくことか
these movements of the living, 人々のこれらの行動が
this reality. これが現実であることが
so, speechless, I am だから私は無言なまま
a docile soldier at war 戦地において従順な兵士である
with humanity; 人間らしさだけは失わずに
my weapon – silence, 私の武器は沈黙である
with which I cannot triumph でも私はそれで人々の声を
over your voices 打ち負かすことはできないのだけれど.
though I maintain hope 私は生活を知力における
to reconcile this war この戦争を和解させる希望を
between life and mind; 持ち続けているのだけれど
to unearth meaning 徐々に消えて行くであろう
in the actions of my life 私の人生における活動の意味を
as it slowly fades… 掘り下げるために
love, laughter and loss 愛、幸福、喪失、
dancing about like snowflakes 過去の思い出が
of memories past; 粉雪のようにヒラヒラ舞う
these subtle details – このほのかなひとつひとつが
like butterflies and kisses – 蝶々やキスのように
mask insanity, 狂気をおおい隠す
beautiful insanity, 美しい狂気を…
how this life is so… この人生がどれだけそうであるかを…

As for Japanese stories, I certainly have plenty. You will have to wait for most of them until our in-person interviews (to be held at later dates). For now, I thought that pictures and the video below would sufficiently as well as eloquently describe my Japanese experience. So, until we schedule that in-person interview, enjoy!
2 comments:
Hi Brett,
Loved the second installment. The Illini hat was a clever trick???!!! Your poem is beautiful. Write some more while you are traveling.
Will email your regular account with the cousins emails as they want to follow too. Talk to you soon.
love ya, mom
How's it going?
The combination between your sweet Japanese and sophisticated poem is very interesting. That's you!!
You should contact your family more. I want kei to do so.
Post a Comment