Friday, January 30, 2009

Bushwhacked!

So I just spent 3 more days in the bush. The first two days, I helped Dan work in or around his house. On the third day, I decided to ride a bike to the beach. It's only about 5 kilometers away, so I thought 'no worries!' And had I followed the correct trail, it probably would have been a great, lazy day. However, with one innocent mistake in the form of a wrong turn, I ended up riding through the bush for about 3 and a half hours. Oh, I found the beach and it was beautiful. Unfortunately, I was beyond exhausted and in desperate need of fresh water.

And then I decided to ride back to Dan's place. Of course, I missed my turn and found myself in unknown territory with no idea how to get back to where I started. So I invited myself to a nearby house, and with a quick phone call, Dan came to the rescue. An hour later, Dan picked me up about 15 kilometers away from his place and I was ready to die.

I have cuts all over my fingers. I still feel spider webs all over me. My legs feel like they have a constant cramp from ass to toe. And I am sure a doctor would consider mental retardation from both a glimpse of the sunburns on my arms and legs as well as this story. I guess I received my initiation into the bush, but I just feel like the bush whacked the shit out of me - bushwhacked!

2 comments:

Ollie said...

For someone who wants to see and travel the world from Australia through Asia and onto Europe but manages to get lost only 15 klicks from where he's staying, I can only say.
"Daijobou, Brett san?"

Ollie

brett a. said...

Daijobou desu! Tanoshi kata...