I have traveled around the world. I have met people you might not believe existed, or perhaps wished did not exist. I have seen things that could change your life in an instant. Then I came to Bali with the understanding that I would be staying at a "friend's" house, and who among you could pass up that offer? Well, I obviously could not pass it up, and never have I been manipulated in such a way. UN-BEE-LEAVE-ABLE!
I was told there was a house waiting for me. I was told there was a car waiting for me. I was told that the neighbor was preparing for my arrival and that he would be waiting for me at the airport. I was presented this amazing arrangement with no strings attached or money required. I thought I had made an amazing connection with a man and his wife who wanted to share their world with me, and let me tell you, they certainly did.
I landed in Bali around 9:40 p.m. and it is tropical. I waited at the airport for about an hour and a half, but the neighbor never came. Perhaps he didn't see me, but how many people do you know look like me; that is, a six foot bear with a beard to his chest? To say the least, I'm hard to miss. Nevertheless, it's a tropical island, people move at different speeds here, and I was not going to stress this tiny hiccup. So I hailed a cab and went searching for this address given to me by these "amazing friends." An hour and a half later, the cabbie and I decided we would need phone numbers to find this address, so I arrived at a cheap hotel for my first night around 1:30 a.m. And still, no worries.
The next day I hit the internet cafe and searched desperately for phone numbers and emails with more details. Of course, I emailed my friend who replied promptly with more info...but no numbers. No matter - I found the neighbor online and contacted him via the phone. And did he have a story for me.
My so-called "friend" has not lived in Bali for years and does not have a house here. My so-called "friend" is certainly not neighbors with the man I spoke to. My so-called "friend" is also possibly in legal trouble in Bali as well. And the cream of the cake has to be directly quoted: "(YOUR FRIEND) is full of shit, and certainly not a friend of mine."
Despite the lies, Bali is great. I am leaving the tourist area today to head out to a fishing village far from civilization and high prices. I never made it to a FREE house or anything that might resemble it, and I responded to my "friend's" up-beat email with a similar vibe:
"Thanks again for everything. The house is great. Take care and talk with you soon."
I figured, if he still believes that he owns a house in Bali and is willing to share his world with me, then I am not going to be the person to clue him in to his delusions of grandeur. So again, thank you my friend. The adventure has been great so far, and you have definitely not disappointed.
As for the rest of you, I don't know when I will be back to the internet, but have no fear. I am having a great time and spending way too much money on this Indonesian paradise. I am off to Singapore and Malaysia on the 9th of April.
So until my next post, dream away!
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Finally i got a chance to read your full blog and it already feels nostalgic to read about your times here in Australia. Congrats on great reporting to those who follow your travels. Was great to sit back and soak up the 111 photos and comments.
Well about the "friend" with deluded offerings i cant help but feel a little sorry for you...i know you dont take sympathy well....but what an arsehole that guy is. Anyway no doubt you brushed that off quick and movin n groovin to a new stick! Safe travels brother,
Dan the sam
Post a Comment